Presented By: Doreen Van Leeuwen, LMFT, Certified Imago Relationship Therapist
Couples therapy can be exhilarating and exciting when your approach, techniques and abilities enable you to stand apart from the pull to get caught in the couple’s plight, and instead assist them in redirecting their behavior in the service of healthy connection.
Couples develop a dance, a sequence of moves, at which they become adept and practiced. It is when those moves cause pain and damage that couples reach out for help, but inevitably they tend to think their partner is the REAL problem, and each wants you to side with them.
Imago Relationship Therapy allows you to come alongside the couple with a structure and a process that steers well clear of placing blame, and instead, accent the strong and healthy aspects of each other.Learning Objectives - After completion of the presentation the attendees will:
1. Be able to summarize their understanding of Harville Hendrix’s concept of Imago Partner Attraction, and 3 specific techniques for nurturing that attraction over the life of the relationship.
2. Understand and describe the concept of “Sacred Space” and its relevance to creating and protecting the integrity of the relationship.
3. Be able to describe the roles of the visitor and the host during a “visit across the bridge” for a relational encounter.
About our speaker
Doreen Van Leeuwen, LMFT runs a successful private practice in Santa Rosa, CA where she offers mindfulness group therapy, conjoint couples sessions, individual coaching and counseling as well as remote treatment via virtual telehealth. She obtained her Bachelor’s from Calvin College, Grand Rapids, and a Master’s from Fuller Theological Seminary, Pasadena, CA. Her specialties include Imago Relationship Therapy, Mind-Body Mindfulness Healing, and Critical Incident Debriefing & Disaster Mental Health. Along with earning the Outstanding CAMFT Chapter Leader Award in 2018, she was chosen as the 2019 recipient of the prestigious CAMFT Mary Riemersma Distinguished Clinical Member Award.
10:30 - 11:00 Social networking and registration
Map to Odd Fellows Hall here.
Redwood Empire Chapter CAMFT is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs. Redwood Empire Chapter CAMFT maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Disability Accommodation: To request an accommodation for a disability, please email email@example.com.
- Refunds: $10 cancellation fee for refunds requested up to 30 days before the event. No refunds are given beginning 29 days prior to the event.
- CE Certificate: You must stay for the entire meeting, sign in and out and complete an evaluation to receive your CE credit certificate. At the conclusion of this educational event, an email with a link to the evaluation form will be sent to all attendees who signed in AND out of the event. Once you complete and submit your evaluation, you will have immediate access and be able to print your CE Certificate. Course meets the qualifications for 6 hrs of continuing education (CE) credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences.
- Grievances: direct grievances to firstname.lastname@example.org, and/or the chapter president at email@example.com.