This event is POSTPONED to a date to be determined due to Corona virus concerns and recommendations for public gatherings.
A special 4 CE presentation...
"The Changing World of Insurance: What EVERY Therapist Should Know"
Presented by Noted Author and Insurance Expert:
Barbara Griswold, LMFT
- Friday, Apr. 3, 2020, 9:30 am - 2:00 pm.
- Arrive promptly by 9:30 am, sign in, pick up your lunch, and get seated from 9:30 - 9:45. Open the noisy packaging in your lunch.
- Presentation starts promptly at 9:45 am. There will be one 15 min. break from 11:45 to 12:00. You can eat quietly at any point during the presentation.
- Odd Fellows Hall, 545 Pacific Ave., Santa Rosa, CA 95404
- 4 CEs for LMFTs, LPCCs, LCSWs & LEPs.
- Lunch included! Vegetarian options available. You may bring your own foods if you prefer.
- Coffee and tea will be served. Please bring your own water bottle or other beverages.
- IMPORTANT - use the SRJC Parking Garage, $4/day, instructions below.
In this entertaining presentation, we'll cover what you need to know about working with a client’s insurance, including what out-of-network providers should know, since what you don't know can hurt you (did you know that just giving clients a statement to submit to their plan opens the door for review of your treatment and records?).
We will discuss three ways to keep new clients even when you aren’t on their insurance plan. You will learn about recent changes in the insurance industry that can affect all of our practices. The pros and cons of joining plans will be identified, with tips presented on how to get in the door at “full” plans, and you'll learn about new opportunities for LMFTs (ex. Medi-Cal, Kaiser).
Do you know the 13 essential questions you should ask when checking coverage? Or how to identify the biggest (and most costly) mistake therapists make when dealing with insurance? In addition to these important answers, you'll be taught how to speak the language of “medical necessity” in order to advocate on your client's behalf to get more treatment approved. If time allows, we will discuss billing for telehealth and extended sessions.
- Identify 2 therapist insurance participation options and identify key differences between network providers and out-of-network providers.
- Identify 2 myths that are commonly held by providers about working with insurance.
- Identify 13 Essential Questions to ask when checking insurance coverage, in order to avoid later treatment disruption or claim denials.
- Have a general understanding of “medical necessity", and what plans look for when they review treatment, in order to help advocate for clients.
Early registration for CAMFT chapter members starts at
- $7.50 for students, AMFTs, APCCs, and ACSWs
- $15 for Licensed CAMFT chapter members
- $55 for non-members (why not join RECAMFT today and get the discount?)
About Author and Insurance Expert Barbara GriswoldBarbara Griswold
, LMFT is author of Navigating the Insurance Maze: The Therapist’s Complete Guide to Working with Insurance – And Whether You Should
, now in its 7th edition. Barbara has 28 years of experience as a network provider for more than 20 insurance and EAP plans. In addition to her full-time private practice in San Jose, she provides consultations about insurance, progress notes, practice building, and difficult cases to therapists nationwide. She has been interviewed on NPR’s “Morning Edition,” and her articles have appeared in Psychotherapy Networker and The Therapist magazines. Barbara previously served as an Orals Examiner for the California Board of Behavioral Sciences, and on the CAMFT Board of Directors and State Ethics Committee. Barbara invites members with insurance questions to contact her at www.theinsurancemaze.com
Odd Fellows Hall
545 Pacific Ave.
Santa Rosa, CA 95404
Parking - VERY IMPORTANT!
Parking is available in the Santa Rosa Junior College (SRJC) Parking Garage on Mendocino Ave. at Pacific Ave, a short walk from Odd Fellows Hall for $4/day. Parking around the building is limited to 1-2 hours, and will require you to move your car. Please use the SRJC Parking Garage, and walk one block to the facility. Don't risk a parking ticket.
Redwood Empire Chapter CAMFT is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs. Redwood Empire Chapter CAMFT maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Disability Accommodation: To request an accommodation for a disability, please email email@example.com.
- Refunds: $10 cancellation fee for refunds requested up to 30 days before the event. No refunds are given beginning 29 days prior to the event.
- CE Certificate: You must stay for the entire meeting, sign in and out and complete an evaluation to receive your CE credit certificate. At the conclusion of this educational event, an email with a link to the evaluation form will be sent to all attendees who signed in AND out of the event. Once you complete and submit your evaluation, you will have immediate access and be able to print or save your CE Certificate. Course meets the qualifications for 4.0 hrs of continuing education (CE) credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences.
- Grievances: direct grievances to firstname.lastname@example.org, and/or the chapter president at email@example.com.
Map to Odd Fellows Hall here