The Justice Project presents
"How to Be An Antiracist (Psychotherapist):
A Discussion Group"
Dr. Shawan Worsley, PhD, LMFT
Founder, Culture Ally
This introductory-level workshop examines the concepts of racism and antiracism as articulated by Ibram X Kendi in How to Be an Antiracist.
Saturday, May 21, 2022
10:00am to 12:00pm
Open to all RECAMFT members - FREE!
2.0 CEs available!
In this workshop, participants practice mindfulness and somatic strategies that can help manage the discomfort that can emerge during discussions about racial inequality. Participants explore various definitions of racism and antiracism and their own experiences of and beliefs about racism and antiracism. Moreover, participants utilize the Multicultural and Social Justice Counseling Competencies framework to analyze how racism and antiracism impact their clinical practice.
At the completion of the workshop, participants will be able to:
- Explore definitions of racism and antiracism
- Discuss their assumptions of and beliefs about racism and antiracism
- Utilize the MSJCC framework to reflect upon how racism and antiracism impact their clinical practice
Shawan Worsley (she/her) is the Founder and Executive Director at Culture Ally. Dr. Worsley is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist and a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor. She holds a PhD in American Studies, an MA in Counseling Psychology, and BAs in African American Studies and International Relations. In her former role as an Assistant Professor, she taught college courses, conducted scholarly research, presented her work at conferences throughout the country, and published an academic book with Routledge Press. As a therapist, Dr. Worsley has worked extensively in communities of color, providing therapy and case management to adults and children in virtually every clinical setting. In addition, she has created and delivered culturally responsive clinical training and consultation to therapists throughout the country. Dr. Worsley’s vocational goal is to help eradicate mental health disparities that impair the health and well-being of communities of color as she continues to provide therapy services through her private practice in Northern California.
All RECAMFT members are encouraged to read this important book and come participate in this workshop, to gain knowledge and support for working to be antiracist as therapists!
Register online for this May 21 workshop with Dr. Shawan Worsley here.
Note: If you have trouble registering, please be sure you're logged into your RECAMFT membership account first, then try again. This discussion group is only available to RECAMFT members.
Notes & Location
- Interested in the RECAMFT Racial & Social Justice Committee? Find out more here!
- Additional Justice Project events are being announced. Please register for each event separately. Check the Current Events Calendar for the latest listings.
- We will meet on Zoom meetings. In your confirmation email from RECAMFT, you will receive instructions for an additional Zoom-registration step that you'll need to complete, in order to get your personal Zoom Join Link for the discussion group. This Zoom-registration step is required in order to generate your personal Zoom Join Link, so that attendance can be tracked for purpose of granting continuing education credits. If you do not receive the confirmation email, please contact email@example.com.
Find more RECAMFT trainings and events here.
Redwood Empire Chapter CAMFT is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and LEPs. Redwood Empire Chapter CAMFT maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Disability Accommodation: To request an accommodation for a disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Refunds: N/A.; this is offered as a free event.
- CE Certificate: You must attend the entire program and complete the course evaluation to receive your CE credit certificate. At the conclusion of this educational event, after confirming attendance, an email with a link to the evaluation form will be sent to all attendees who attended in full. Once you complete and submit your evaluation, you will have immediate access and be able to print or save your CE Certificate. This course meets the qualifications for 2.0 hrs of continuing education (CE) credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences.
- Notice of recording: This discussion group will not be recorded.
- Grievances: Please direct grievances to email@example.com, and/or the chapter president at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Redwood Empire Chapter of California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists is a CAMFT Approved Continuing Education Provider: License #57173.