Affirmative Therapy with Trans and/or Nonbinary Clients
presented by Sand Chang, PhD
Friday, September 1, 2023
10:00 am - 12:15 pm
Zoom, 2.0 CEs
Will not be recorded - we hope you can join us "live" on Zoom!
In this two-hour training, we will discuss the foundations of affirming therapy with trans and/or nonbinary clients. We will review a basic history of trans mental health care, respectful communication and interactions, and managing common clinical challenges and provider reactions. This training will be both didactic and experiential in nature; providers will be encouraged to engage in self-reflection work related to gender socialization.
At the conclusion of this presentation, participants will be able to:
- Learn two key communication skills in initiating therapy with trans and/or nonbinary clients.
- Describe two common provider barriers to effective and affirming therapy with trans and/or nonbinary clients.
- Describe two forms of bias that cis providers have enacted historically throughout trans health.
- Differentiate gender dysphoria as a diagnosis from gender dysphoria as a subjective experience.
RSVP here. Please note that once you have RSVPd for this event you will receive a link to register for the Zoom Meeting. You must complete this second Zoom-registration step to gain access to the event link.
Please note, this is a 2.0-CE training. The meeting will begin at 10:00 with chapter announcements and introductions. You must be logged on by the start of the actual training session, no later than 10:10am, and stay on for the full duration of the training to end at 12:15pm, in order to earn the CEs.
About Our Speaker Dr. Sand Chang
Sand Chang, PhD (they/them/their) is a Chinese American genderfluid/nonbinary/femme psychologist and DEI consultant. Sand co-authored A Clinician's Guide to Gender Affirming Care and the APA Guidelines for Psychological Practice with Transgender and Gender Nonconforming Clients. Sand's work is focused on body liberation with respect to trans health, disordered eating, and trauma. They utilize Internal Family Systems and Somatic Experiencing in their work with clients. Outside of work, Sand is a dancer, food top, punoff competitor, and small dog enthusiast.
Zoom Meeting. Requires pre-registration with Zoom; please make sure you register with Zoom with the link provided in your RECAMFT confirmation email.
Redwood Empire Chapter CAMFT (Provider #57173) is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs. Redwood Empire Chapter CAMFT maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Disability Accommodation: To request an accommodation for a disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Refunds: Refunds may be requested up to 7 days before the event by contacting email@example.com. No refunds are given beginning 7 days prior to the event. If a member cannot attend the event due to a mandatory evacuation or Public Safety Power Shut-off the day of the event, they can request and receive a refund with verification of address.
- CE Certificate: You must attend the entire presentation and complete a post test and an evaluation to receive your CE credit certificate. At the conclusion of this educational event, after confirming attendance, an email with a link to the test and evaluation form will be sent to all attendees who attended the online event. Once you complete and submit your evaluation, you will have immediate access and be able to print or save your CE Certificate. This course meets the qualifications for 2.0 hrs of continuing education (CE) credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences.
- Notice of Recording: Whenever possible, our CE events are recorded or filmed and may appear on our website. Due to presenter request, there are however no plans to record this training.
- Grievances: Direct grievances to firstname.lastname@example.org, and/or the chapter president at email@example.com.