"What EVERY Therapist Should Know About Insurance, Including a Telehealth Billing Update"
Barbara Griswold, LMFT
- Saturday, November 7, 2020
- 10:00 am - 1:15 pm
- Zoom Webinar
- Non-CE Event
This essential (and entertaining) webinar will teach you what you need to know about working with insurance, even if you never join an insurance plan. First, you'll get the latest information on telehealth billing and coverage. Then, all your questions about working with insurance will be answered, including the pros and cons of joining plans, how to get in the door at "full” plans, what out-of-network providers should know, (hint: did you know that even giving a client an invoice opens up your treatment for review?), and ways to keep new clients when you aren't on their plan. You’ll also learn the costly mistakes therapists make, the critical questions to ask when checking coverage, tips for avoiding denials, the secret to getting more treatment approved, and how to survive treatment reviews.
1. Define basic insurance concepts in order to better education clients, advocate for their care, and avoid treatment disruption.
2. Summarize therapist choices regarding involvement with health plans, the pros and cons of each, and how to join insurance panels.
3. Identify the most common therapist mistake that leads to treatment/claim denials.
4. Summarize how "medical necessity" is used by health plans enabling therapists to advocate on behalf of clients for continuing care.
There are no CEUs offered for this event
In an effort to make up for CE credit opportunities RECAMFT was unable to provide our members earlier in the year, this presentation is being provided free of charge to RECAMFT members.
- Free - All RECAMFT Members
- $30 General Admission
*Please note that once you have registered for this event you will receive a link to register for the Zoom Webinar.
About Barbara Griswold
Barbara is a private practice consultant and the author of Navigating the Insurance Maze: The Therapist’s Complete Guide to Working with Insurance -- And Whether You Should, now out in its 8th edition. In private practice in San Jose, she has been interviewed on NPR's “Morning Edition," and her articles have appeared in Psychotherapy Networker and The Therapist magazines. She is a past member of CAMFT’s State Ethics Committee and Board of Directors, and former Oral Examiner for the BBS. Her passion is helping therapists nationwide to master the business side of their practices. She invites members to contact her at her website, NavigatingtheInsuranceMaze.com.
Zoom Webinar - please make sure you register to the webinar with the link provided in your confirmation email.
Redwood Empire Chapter CAMFT is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs. Redwood Empire Chapter CAMFT maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Disability Accommodation: To request an accommodation for a disability, please email email@example.com.
- Refunds: $10 cancellation fee for refunds requested up to 30 days before the event. No refunds are given beginning 29 days prior to the event. If a member cannot attend the event, due to a mandatory evacuation or Public Safety Power Shut-off the day of the event, they can request and receive a refund with verification of address.
- Grievances: direct grievances to firstname.lastname@example.org, and/or the chapter president at email@example.com.