A Brief and Interactive Introduction"
Suzanne D. Alfandari, LMFT
- Friday, December 4, 2020
- 10:30 am - 1:45 pm
- Zoom Webinar
- 3 CEUs
Motivational Interviewing (MI) is a profoundly remarkable tool that appears deceptively simple to learn. Like learning a musical instrument, sport or any hobby, it requires practice and support to develop this skill. As Charlie Parker said, “if you don’t live it, it won’t come out your horn”!
Motivational Interviewing is a guided client-centered therapeutic method of communicating and engaging that works collaboratively, facilitating and engaging intrinsic motivation within the client. The purpose is to work through ambivalence in order to make behavioral changes.
Studies show even a ten-minute MI interview at the beginning of treatment increases the likelihood for both commitment to and maintaining change. Additionally, MI helps reduce clinician burnout by shifting the burden of change off the clinician and back to the client, where it rightfully belongs.
1. Identify the fundamental style, spirit and processes of MI.
2. Practice communication styles to determine which seeks collaboration best.
3. Identify O.A.R.S.+I
*Please note that once you have RSVP'd for this event you will receive a link to register for the Zoom Webinar. You must complete this second step to gain access to the event link.
About Suzanne D. Alfandari
Suzanne D. Alfandari, M.S, LMFT, is an experienced and passionate Motivational Interviewing (MI) MINT Certified trainer and member of MINT, the International Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers. Suzanne is the MI trainer at UC Davis Extension and California University of Fresno-Bay Area Academy. She trains organizations in MI including all levels of staff, from those who work with low income and challenged families to providers who support first responders with PTSD. On staff for over 15 years at Marin Community Mental Health, she taught MI to psychology interns and helped implement an MI-informed consultation style for staff.
In private practice since 1997, Suzanne specializes in treatment of people of all ages who are ready to change, using Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT/Tapping), and Motivational Interviewing (MI). She provides EFT/Tapping coaching and consulting to professionals and also MI coaching and consulting for people applying for MINT membership.
Zoom Webinar - please make sure you register to the webinar with the link provided in your confirmation email.
Redwood Empire Chapter CAMFT is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs. Redwood Empire Chapter CAMFT maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Disability Accommodation: To request an accommodation for a disability, please email email@example.com.
- Refunds: $10 cancellation fee for refunds requested up to 30 days before the event. No refunds are given beginning 29 days prior to the event. If a member cannot attend the event, due to a mandatory evacuation or Public Safety Power Shut-off the day of the event, they can request and receive a refund with verification of address.
- CE Certificate: You must attend the entire presentation and complete a post test and an evaluation to receive your CE credit certificate. At the conclusion of this educational event, after confirming attendance, an email with a link to the test and evaluation form will be sent to all attendees who attended the online event. Once you complete and submit your evaluation, you will have immediate access and be able to print or save your CE Certificate. This course meets the qualifications for 3.0 hrs of continuing education (CE) credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences
- Grievances: direct grievances to firstname.lastname@example.org, and/or the chapter president at email@example.com.