DON'T MISS! Author Francis Weller, LMFT
"An Apprenticeship with Sorrow"
Francis Weller, LMFT
- Friday, March 18, 2022
- 9:00 am - 4:30 pm
- Zoom Meeting
- 6 CEs for LMFTs, LPCCs, LCSWs & LEPs
“Grief has always been communal in our long story as a species. Too often in modern times, however, our grief is carried privately, forcing sorrow underground. It is our unexpressed sorrows, the congested stories of loss, that, when left unattended, block our access to soul. We then are pulled by the gravity of loss below the surface of life and into the terrain of death. We must restore the practices and customs of grief in our lives. Each of us must undertake an apprenticeship with sorrow and learn the skill of grieving for our sakes and the welfare of all beings.” -- Francis WellerCourse Description
As therapists, we encounter an extraordinary amount of suffering on an ongoing basis. Those who come to us, ask us to help hold their stories of loss and sorrow, pain, and trauma. Additionally, the wider, collective sorrows of the surrounding world impact us as well. The ongoing pandemic, systemic racism, economic injustice, climate collapse and others, can leave us feeling overwhelmed, vulnerable, and shaken. The ambient field we are living in is saturated with a mixture of anxiety, fear, rage, and grief. The sheer weight of these personal and collective sorrows is enough to crush our hearts. Where do we go with this cumulative weight? Unfortunately, the prevailing cultural conditioning often encourages us to face these circumstances alone.
Grief, however, has always been communal, always been shared and as such, has been part of a sacred process. This day-long seminar offers an opportunity to acknowledge the multiple folds of grief we carry in our lives. Doing so grants us what we require to set down a measure of the grief we carry. Tending these sorrows is essential. To keep our hearts soft and open, we must become fluent in the rites and practices of grief. Each of us must take up an apprenticeship with sorrow and learn the skill of grieving for our sakes and the welfare of all beings.
- Recognize the multiple sources of grief that arise in the therapeutic process and its impact on psychological health.
- Identify the obstacles to expressing grief in the culture.
- Understand the relationship between unresolved grief and other symptoms such as depression and addiction.
- Understand the inherent value of grief.
- Identify the “Five Gates of Grief”.
- Recognize the elements in “An Apprenticeship with Sorrow”.
- Have a knowledge of practices/rituals for tending to grief.
- $90 - RECAMFT Licensed Members
- $90 - Sister CAMFT Chapter Licensed Members
- $45 - RECAMFT Pre-Licensed Members
- $45 - Sister CAMFT Chapter Pre-Licensed Members
- $125 - General Admission (Non-CAMFT Chapter Members / Non-CAMFT Members)
About Francis Weller
Francis Weller, LMFT is a psychotherapist, writer and soul activist. He is a master of synthesizing diverse streams of thought from psychology, anthropology, mythology, alchemy, indigenous cultures and poetic traditions. Author of The Wild Edge of Sorrow: Rituals of Renewal and the Sacred Work of Grief, and In the Absence of the Ordinary: Essays in a Time of Uncertainty, he has introduced the healing work of ritual to thousands of people. He founded and directs WisdomBridge, an organization that offers educational programs that seek to integrate the wisdom from traditional cultures with the insights and knowledge gathered from western cultures.
Francis received a BA from the University of Wisconsin Green Bay, and two Master's Degrees from John F. Kennedy University in Clinical Psychology and Transpersonal Psychology. His writings have appeared in anthologies and journals exploring the confluence between psyche, nature and culture. His work was featured in The Sun magazine, The Utne Reader and The Kosmos Journal. He is a frequent presenter and keynote speaker at conferences, bringing insight, poetry, and a breath of humor to his talks. Francis is currently on staff at Commonweal Cancer Help Program, co-leading their week-long retreats with Michael Lerner. He has taught at Sonoma State University, the Sophia Center in Oakland and has been the featured teacher at the Minnesota Men's Conference. He is currently completing his fourth book, The Alchemy of Initiation: Soul Work and the Art of Ripening.
Learn more about Francis Weller here: https://www.francisweller.net/
Zoom Meeting. Please make sure you complete the additional step of registering directly with Zoom, per the instructions provided in your RECAMFT event confirmation email. That second Zoom-registration step is required in order to generate your personal Zoom Join Link, so that attendance can be tracked for purpose of granting continuing education credits.
Redwood Empire Chapter CAMFT is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and LEPs. Redwood Empire Chapter CAMFT maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Disability Accommodation: To request an accommodation for a disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Refunds: Refunds may be requested up to 7 days before the event by contacting email@example.com. No refunds are given beginning 7 days prior to the event. If a registrant cannot attend the event due to a mandatory evacuation or Public Safety Power Shut-off the day of the event, they can request and receive a refund with verification of address.
- CE Certificate: You must attend the entire presentation and complete a post test and an evaluation to receive your CE credit certificate. At the conclusion of this educational event, after confirming attendance, an email with a link to the test and evaluation form will be sent to all attendees who attended the online event. Once you complete and submit your evaluation, you will have immediate access and be able to print or save your CE Certificate. This course meets the qualifications for 6.0 hrs of continuing education (CE) credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences
- Notice of recording: All of our CE events are recorded or filmed and may appear on our website. By participating in this event you may appear in that recording. By participating in this event you agree to be recorded/filmed and give permission for RECAMFT to use your likeness where it may appear on our website or in promotion/marketing materials.
- Recording Viewing Policy: RECAMFT Members can watch our event recordings any time by going to the speaker presentation videos library in the Members Only section of recamft.org. Guest (non-member) registrants will have access to the recording for 30 days after the live event.
- Grievances: Please direct grievances to firstname.lastname@example.org, and/or the chapter president at email@example.com.
Redwood Empire Chapter of California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists is a CAMFT Approved Continuing Education Provider: License #57173.